Monday, February 10, 2014

Memoirs: the (morning) Dress

 photo w3_zps4c29128d.jpg

We, girls, can't deny that the most exciting part of wedding planning is picking your wedding dress. In Thailand (and in other Asian countries), the brides usually flaunt in two wedding gowns (one traditional gown for a morning ceremony and one white western gown for an evening reception.

That was fun but it also means double stress and expense. However most ladies don't mind since it is once in a lifetime opportunity. For my morning ceremony, I decided to have a gown tailored for a perfect fit. My mother happened to know a high skilled tailor so I counted on her to create my dream gown. . After flipping through a couple of magazines, I decided to go with luxurious gold tone (silk is  used to make traditional Thai costume in a combination of chiffon/lace and etc.). She sure didn't fail to exceed my expectation. It came out exactly the way I pictured it. For my husband, we had to buy a ready made one since we were short on time. We went shopping for him just a few days before our wedding day.

Upon moving to the U.S., I decided to bring this gown with me as a keepsake. Little did I knew, I got to wear it again when we had a wedding and reception here in the U.S.. Ten years later, I can't believe it is in a pristine condition (color fades with time but not significantly). This gown brings back so many memories of that day in my life.
 photo w2_zps1ee93453.jpg  photo w4_zps1f2d0643.jpg  photo w7_zps339ebf34.jpg  photo w5_zps72d94c9f.jpg  photo ww1_zps50e17119.jpg  photo w6_zpscfb47b47.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful dress. It is something you'll cherish for a lifetime and probably pass down to your daughter. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh nelah! your dress was exquisite. there's so much to love. i can't get over the color of it. so pretty. the jewels and different fabrics. you looked spectacular. thank you so much for sharing this with us. what a special day indeed. it's a TREASURE!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a beeeautiful dress! i think one of the things i regret is not buying either my traditional korean dress or my white wedding gown. i rented both thinking that i wouldn't have room in our tiny studio at the time and i thought i would never wear it. but i love keepsakes.. and i wish i had either one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous gown and how lucky you were to be able to have your dream dress come to life to wear on your wedding day Nelah! It's lovely that it still brings back your sweet memories as well. I feel the same when I look at my wedding dress. My whole experience with buying it was a little anti-climactic but I was so happy that it was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your traditional wedding gown is so lovely! I love the rich gold tone and all the exquisite gold beads and embroidery. The bodice is really pretty too. You are one gorgeous bride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your gorgeous gown! So beautiful and such intricate details.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appteciate your comment, thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to leave me your thoughts.

I enjoy exploring new blogs and connect with new people, but no "Follow me & i will follow you" kind of comment, please.